Views
Helpful
Replies

Configurate Sla monitor command at dual ISP at cisco router

teymur azimov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dears

i want to configurated dual ISP at my router. one of the is primary ISP and second one is backup.i understand how the nat translation is going at dual isp.

i want to ask you

i configurated

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 12.y.y.y -----> Primary Default route pointing towards Next hop ip of ISP1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 76.y.y.y 10 -----> Backup Default route with higher AD (10) pointing towards Next hop ip of ISP2

ok.

1. is this configuration  enougth to me when primary ISP is go down the second ISP(backup) is working??

2.or i need to write sla monitor command?

if i need i must be write like that ?

ip sla monitor 1

type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 4.2.2.2 source-interface FastEthernet0/0

timeout 500

frequency 10

ip sla monitor schedule 1 life forever start-time now

3.  must  I  write two sla monitor? like that

ip sla monitor 1

type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 68.94.156.1 source-interface s0/0/0

frequency 60

threshold 500

timeout 1000

ip sla monitor schedule 1 life forever start-time now

ip sla monitor 2

type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 209.234.129.5 source-interface Fa0/1

frequency 60

threshold 500

timeout 1000

ip sla monitor schedule 2 life forever start-time now

that questions at my brain and i do not know which one is rigth?? no sla monitor, one sla monitor or two sla monitor?

thanks.

2 Replies 2

Hi Teymour

you only need one SLA monitor. You don't need a SLA monitor on the backup link since its a back up anyway.

So, you create an IP SLA and a track object is also required. I have posted the solution in another thread here if you interested to take a look

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3473746#3473746

Let me know if you need more info

HTH

Kishore

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

if you don't track the static route then the backup will only come up if primary line protocol is down, it's ok for point-to-point links but not for multipoint interfaces which may still be up while the other end is down.

Furthermore  without the tracking even if primary link is ok but there is a problem in the ISP network then this route won't be accessible via this ISP but your primary route will still be in the routing table.

So yes it's better to track an ip sla object and link this tracked object to your static route but you can do with only tracking on primary with one ip sla object because when the track object goes back up then the primary route with lower AD will get installed back in the routing table and your backup route will get removed from the routing table.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: