Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure Cisco with Fedora 13

MarkDome6
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a problem with configure the cisco equipment. I use fedora 13 as the main server an must configure OSPF.

I found some 'code'

Router (config)# router ospf {process-ID#}

But mine question is, how to get that on the equpment.

Mine network is as followed:

3 Cisco Catalyst 3550

2 Cisco Catalyst 6509

I have no idea how to start.

7 Replies 7

MarkDome6
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is there nobody who can help me?

Please give me some advise

Greetings
Mark

Hi Mark,

It sounds like you want to set up OSPF routing on your network. This should not be a problem - all of the Cisco equipment you mention supports OSPF, assuming that the correct IOS images is installed.

You are correct with your code snippet, to enable OSPF on a Cisco device you will need to use the router ospf {process-id} command. You will also need to make sure that the switch is enabled for routing with the ip routing command.

You will need to ahve carefully thought out your IP addressing scheme before implementing any configurations - have you setup OSPF before?

It is quite hard for the people on this forum to help you with your configurations without having more information on what you are trying to achive. If you can ellaborate further I am sure that there will be plenty of experts who are eager to help,

Many thanks

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

I've never setup an OSPF. I know it is in the switching, but most of all i see configuration with Windows.

The case is as followed:

I have the following topology

Reno, Detroit and Boston as the catalyst 3550

Flagstaff and Chicago as the 6509

There is an UTP Cat 6 line from

Reno - Flagstaff

Flagstaff - Detroit

Detroit - Chicago

Chicago - Boston

And there is an backbone with fiber from

Reno - Flagstaff

Reno - Chicago

Reno - Boston

Flagstaff - Chicago

Flagstaff - Boston

Chicago - Boston

I need OSPF to calculate the shortest path, but when disconect the the fiber between Flagstaff and Chicago it must go automatically over the line Flagstaff - Detroit - Chicago - Boston.

I've a client in (let say) Boston and it will connect with a server (fedora 13) in Flagstaff.

It should also be monitord, i quess ill choose for Nagios

Hopefully it is now a lot clearer

Mark

Hi Mark,

OSPF is not the simplest thing in the world to setup, especially if you have not done so before. I would recommend getting a basic understanding of OSPF and how it is configure on a Cisco router by visiting the Cisco Learning Network and viewing some of their CCNA study aids:

There are some helpful articles here:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-1318

You will need to regsiter to get access, but it is free.

There are also plenty of documents published by Cisco which will help you get going, although some of them can be quite heavy going!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_white_paper09186a0080094e9e.shtml

In order to help you with configurations, a lot more information would be required, such as VLAN information, IP Addressing schemes etc. The best thing to do would be to give it a go yourself and then post again with any configs that you are struggling to get going.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan

Thanks a lot, that looks like very useful information.

Another question, i've reset the Cisco Catalyst 6509, because nobody knews the username and password.

But whats the default?

username: Root

password: root doesnt work nor

username: Roo

password: cisco

Here is the link to password recovery

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_tech_note09186a00801746e6.shtml

I'd suggest getting a consultant to assist you with building your network. there are enough little details involved.

HI,

If this is a production network, then I definitely agree with vmiller, there is a lot involved to get this sort of thing running and plenty of places where it could trip you up, if there are people relying on this, then some assisstance would be the best bet.

Many thanks

Jonathan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card