cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring a SM-X Layer 2/3 EtherSwitch Service Module on a 4331 router

Tod Larson
Level 3
Level 3

How do I configure the Cisco 4331 routers' ethernet-internal interface to communicate with a SM-X Layer 2/3 EtherSwitch Service Module?

Neither interface ethernet-internal 1/0/0 nor interface ethernet-internal 1/0/1 have the ip address command available.  They don't have the "no switchport" command either.

I can do the "hw-module session 1/0" command to console into the etherswitch.  Once consoled in I can configure the switch, it just won't communicate with the internal interfaces on the router.

Here are the references I've tried to use.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/datasheet-c78-730357.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/interfaces/eesm/hardware/installation/guide/eesm_HIG.pdf

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/interfaces/eesm/software/configuration/guide/4451_config.pdf

I fee like we are missing something obvious!

22 Replies 22

oleg.bogdanov
Level 1
Level 1

Working on this now in the lab and there is a much less clumsy way of doing this.  Note that my platform is a 4451 with a SM-X-ES3-24-P, but it should be the same in your case.

The 4000 series supports SVIs as of recent code.  You enable SVI support like this:

ethernet-internal subslot 1/0
platform switchport svi

(Then you have to reboot)

Then you can just trunk your VLANs to the switch module like you would on any layer 3 switch:

Vlan 11
name some_vlan

Vlan 13
name other_vlan

interface Vlan11
description some vlan
ip address 10.10.10.2 255.255.255.0
standby 1 ip 10.10.10.1
standby 1 priority 105
standby 1 preempt
no shut

interface Vlan13
description some other vlan
ip address 10.20.20.2 255.255.255.0
standby 1 ip 10.20.20.1
standby 1 priority 105
standby 1 preempt
no shut

interface Ethernet-Internal1/0/0
description Trunk to internal switch module
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan 11, 13

Note that once you log into your switch module (the command has been changed to 'hw-module session 1/0') don't try to restrict the VLANs on the uplink port.  Just allow them all else you get more stupid errors.

interface GigabitEthernet0/26
description Trunk to host router
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport mode trunk
switchport protected

Vlan 11
name some_vlan

Vlan 13
name other_vlan

e.g.

Switch#sh int trunk

Port Mode Encapsulation Status Native vlan
Gi0/1 on 802.1q trunking 1
Gi0/26 on 802.1q trunking 1

Port Vlans allowed on trunk
Gi0/1 11,13
Gi0/26 1-4094

Port Vlans allowed and active in management domain
Gi0/1 11,13
Gi0/26 1,11,13

Port Vlans in spanning tree forwarding state and not pruned
Gi0/1 11,13
Gi0/26 1,11,13
Switch#

Hopefully this helps people save some time.  Cisco has very poor documentation on proper configuration of these switch modules so I'm not surprised TAC gave the nonsense answer of "use an external cable".

Hopefully some at Cisco picks this up and actually creates some useful documentation on how to configure these modules.  This is a start, but it's sorely lacking:  http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/interfaces/eesm/software/configuration/guide/4451_config.html

Thank you very much for this!

Thanks for the info but this brings up a question.

In this scenario would the router be the gateway for the VLANs? That would mean that you are limited to the throughput limitations of the router for inter-vlan routing. One of the reasons you want to use a Layer 3 switch is for the much faster inter-vlan routing. 

On this note.. if you don't have any ether-switch module (not even a NIM) in the 4000 series.. can you even issue statements like,

'vlan 11' and 'vlan 13'.  I think the router won't let you.

It's only because you have inserted an SM-X, the router will let you create l2 vlan's on the host/4000 series side ?

m-abooali
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,
Thanks for sharing info on this somehow complected process setting up router 4331 with Switching module. I have received a Cisco 4331 with Switchig module (don't know what Switching module yet) and am trying to familiarize myself with setting it up using te Switching module for L2/L3 switching (vlan, SVIs, etc.).

information here are vague and not really pointing to what must do to get this 4331 router setup however, these information is based on user's specific problems/needs.

I was wondering if there is a simpler, more clear guide that the Cisco configuration guide on this router please?

best Regards,

Masood

I solved my problem with this :

Specifically on page 15 of the pdf link: 

Thank you.

Wale.

Thank you. I will read and see if I can make it. Any lesson learned while trying this document please? Best Regards, Masood

garyD
Level 1
Level 1

I understand this is an old post but perhaps you can provide some info----I have same hardware 4331 router with 24p module in it. Now, if I want to upgrade the OS on a switch module only, can  I do it with a USB stick? Since, there is only one usb port and 4331 sees the usb0 plugged in etc but the 24p module knows nothing about the usb. I wanted to simply copy the new ver of the os on switch flash and update it. Thank you

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card