cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring catalyst switches via DHCP option 66 boot file.

Simen Ringstad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to build a config file for factory default switches to pull from a TFTP server. The switches are at remote locations with a managed wan-connection where we have no control over the directly connected router.

The config files works fine including the VTP-part. What doesn't work is populating the VLAN-database.

Here's the part concering VLAN configuration

!

vtp domain test

vtp mode server

vtp version 2

!

vlan 10

name Voice

state active

!

vlan 20

name Data

state active

!

vlan 30

name Wireless

state active

As you can see from the show vtp status, VTP is configured, but there are no VLANS in the database, except the default ones.

VTP Version capable             : 1 to 3

VTP version running             : 2

VTP Domain Name                 : test

VTP Pruning Mode                : Disabled

VTP Traps Generation            : Enabled

Device ID                       : 8478.acb6.0380

Configuration last modified by 0.0.0.0 at 3-1-93 00:02:36

Local updater ID is 10.160.44.184 on interface Vl1 (lowest numbered VLAN interface found)

Feature VLAN:

--------------

VTP Operating Mode                : Server

Maximum VLANs supported locally   : 255

Number of existing VLANs          : 5

Configuration Revision            : 1

MD5 digest                        : 0xC6 0xFA 0x4B 0x82 0xA4 0x6E 0x04 0x15

0xC3 0xCF 0x57 0x38 0x90 0xF3 0x59 0xC3

Is it possible to build a VLAN database from a config-file fetched with DHCP option 66? If so, what's the syntax? If not, what are my alternatives?

(Any new service from the router is out of the question as we would have to pay our service provider to configure it which takes a lot of time and money.)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Simen,

I think the main problem is that the only VTP mode that allows VLAN-config in the configuration file is Transparent.

So why not set the VTP mode to transparent in the initial config-file and afterwards change the VTP mode on the new switch?

You can change the VTP mode by SNMP (VTP-MIB::managementDomainLocalMode) so even an "automation" could be done easily.

Best regards

Rolf

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try ZeroTouch

Thanks for the suggestion but sadly that's not an option. I updated my inital post with som more info.

Hi Simen,

I think the main problem is that the only VTP mode that allows VLAN-config in the configuration file is Transparent.

So why not set the VTP mode to transparent in the initial config-file and afterwards change the VTP mode on the new switch?

You can change the VTP mode by SNMP (VTP-MIB::managementDomainLocalMode) so even an "automation" could be done easily.

Best regards

Rolf

Thanks Rolf,

Transparent did the trick!

cisco_employee
Level 1
Level 1

Test reply on configuring switch

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: