Helpful
Replies

configuring frame relay encapsulation

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body

I have few questions;

Let say we have three routers,r1,r2 and r3. All these routers are connected with with each other by frame relay . They are fully meshed as well.

Usually frame relay encapsulation is configured under physical interface. But i want to connect these routers using point-to multipoint int with frame relay encapsulation configured under it.

For example on r1

int s0

int s0/0.1 point-to-multipoint

encapsulation frame-relay

The other two routers are configured in the similar manner. Can i do this?

=========================

2) Same scenario but this time i want to configure encapsulation using frame-relay interface-dlci command, with this stipulation in mind that no frame relay encapsulation is configured either under the physical or sub interface on each router.

For example on r1

int s0

int s0/0.1 point-to-multipoint.

frame-relay interface-dlci 54 ietf

frame-relay interface-dlci 65 ietf

Where 54 is dlci for vc b/w r1 and r2

while 65 is dlci for vc b/w r1 and r3.

Can i do this?

Thanks a lot and have a nice weekend.

7 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sarah,

1)

no because enc frame-relay is not allowed in a subinterface you can specify the FR encapsulation per DLCI probably as an option in a frame-relay map command

yes frame-rel map supports the option for encapsulation

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/wan/command/reference/wan_f2.html#wp1012264

2)

yes

I never used frame-relay interface-dlci with multipoint subinterfaces but I think you can do it in this way or using frame-relay map command as I noted above.

command reference about frame-rel interface-dlci says:

>>This command is required for all point-to-point subinterfaces; it is also required for multipoint subinterfaces for which dynamic address resolution is enabled. It is not required for multipoint subinterfaces configured with static address mappings.

So yes to question 2

Notice that FR encapsulation must match on both DTE connected by the same PVC but it can be different on different PVCs on the same physical interface or multipoint subinterface.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

2) You should have encapsulation frame-relay under the physical interface to be able to configure your s0/0.1 with point-to-multiploint

Hello Sarah,

I had some doubts on the capability of a point-to-point subinterface to advertise the DTE IP address over the DLCI.

For sure inverse-ARP is disabled on the receiving direction.

Then I checked on the CCIE exam certification guide third edition book and I've found an example like your scenario: a hub router with multipoint subinterface and two spoke routers.

The example shows with debug frame-rel events that the spoke with point-to-point subinterface advertises its network layer address on the DLCI.

if so no static mappings are needed.

This is handy for production networks with a lot of spoke routers.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

You need at least the following command on the main side that is using the multipoint interface:

frame-relay interface-dlci DLCI_TO_R1

frame-relay interface-dlci DLCI_TO_R2

Also on the point to point subinterfaces, you need 1 only frame-relay command:

frame-relay interface-dlci DLCI_TO_R3

Then it will work, I just tested it.

well well, you need still to have the frame-relay interface DLCI commands on the hubs and on the spoke, as detailed on my other post. That is the minimum FR config to get it to work.

Inverse-arp will take care of the ip addressing, but you need to say out of which DLCI it will go.

Hello Lucien,

I agree this is necessary sorry I didn't write clearly in my post.

Best Regards

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe,

Regarding the point-to-point subinterfaces and InverseARP: my experience is that a point-to-point subinterface does not send InverseARP requests by itself but accepts them upon receival and answers to them (it sends replies).

Best regards,

Peter

9 Replies 9

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sarah,

1)

no because enc frame-relay is not allowed in a subinterface you can specify the FR encapsulation per DLCI probably as an option in a frame-relay map command

yes frame-rel map supports the option for encapsulation

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/wan/command/reference/wan_f2.html#wp1012264

2)

yes

I never used frame-relay interface-dlci with multipoint subinterfaces but I think you can do it in this way or using frame-relay map command as I noted above.

command reference about frame-rel interface-dlci says:

>>This command is required for all point-to-point subinterfaces; it is also required for multipoint subinterfaces for which dynamic address resolution is enabled. It is not required for multipoint subinterfaces configured with static address mappings.

So yes to question 2

Notice that FR encapsulation must match on both DTE connected by the same PVC but it can be different on different PVCs on the same physical interface or multipoint subinterface.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

2) You should have encapsulation frame-relay under the physical interface to be able to configure your s0/0.1 with point-to-multiploint

Thanks Lucien and Guiseppe.

Let say three sides are conected in hub and spoke toplogy to main side. Main side is using sub interface multipoint type while each side is connected to main side by sub interface point to point type.

Will inverse arp take care of mapping ip-dlci at main side or i have to do manual mapping at the main side considering it is sub interface multipoint type at main side we are dealing with ?

thanks and have a nice weekend

Hello Sarah,

I had some doubts on the capability of a point-to-point subinterface to advertise the DTE IP address over the DLCI.

For sure inverse-ARP is disabled on the receiving direction.

Then I checked on the CCIE exam certification guide third edition book and I've found an example like your scenario: a hub router with multipoint subinterface and two spoke routers.

The example shows with debug frame-rel events that the spoke with point-to-point subinterface advertises its network layer address on the DLCI.

if so no static mappings are needed.

This is handy for production networks with a lot of spoke routers.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

well well, you need still to have the frame-relay interface DLCI commands on the hubs and on the spoke, as detailed on my other post. That is the minimum FR config to get it to work.

Inverse-arp will take care of the ip addressing, but you need to say out of which DLCI it will go.

Hello Giuseppe,

Regarding the point-to-point subinterfaces and InverseARP: my experience is that a point-to-point subinterface does not send InverseARP requests by itself but accepts them upon receival and answers to them (it sends replies).

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter.

"my experience is that a point-to-point subinterface does not send InverseARP requests by itself but accepts them upon receival and answers to them (it sends replies)."

Is this default behavior or we have to configure:

no frame-relay inverse arp” ?

I was reading this side which implies inverse arp is not disabled on point to point interface.

Let me quote for easy reference.

"Frame-Relay Inverse ARP is not required on point-to-point interface, and, if needed it can be disabled with the following command under the interface you need to do it:

“no frame-relay inverse arp”

However, Inverse ARP Reply can NOT be disabled, that means, even if you disable your Inverse ARP in an interface, if this interface receives any Inverse ARP Request it'll respond to the request!"

Below is the link i quoted from:

http://cauew.blogspot.com/2008/05/frame-relay-inverse-arp.html

Thanks a lot Peter and hope you had good weekend.

You need at least the following command on the main side that is using the multipoint interface:

frame-relay interface-dlci DLCI_TO_R1

frame-relay interface-dlci DLCI_TO_R2

Also on the point to point subinterfaces, you need 1 only frame-relay command:

frame-relay interface-dlci DLCI_TO_R3

Then it will work, I just tested it.

Hello Lucien,

I agree this is necessary sorry I didn't write clearly in my post.

Best Regards

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco