cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring Production 6509 for iSCSI Storage and VMware

deezturner1
Level 1
Level 1

I've been searching the forums to see if any other users have completed this type of configuration successfully with not much luck.  I have a Cat 6509 currently in production.  We have several Vlans and all communication and routing is funtional in our environment.  We are going to be adding an iSCSI Storage environment, and within a couple of months, adding a 3 Host VMware farm.  I've configured several iSCSI environments using dedicated switches for the iSCSI network but never to existing production switches.

My thoughts are to add two iSCSI Vlans outside of the production IP Scheme to the 6509 with no SVI, attach storage controller's NICS ports to the management network and of course, other available NIC ports to the iSCSI network.  My question is, what is the best practice in configuring the 6509 i.e. switchports, Jumbo Frames, Flow-Control to support iSCSI on a 6509 that is in production and what are possible risks if any with enabling Jumbo Frames, Flow-Control etc?

Has anyone setup a similar environment.  Do you have any links or blogs that may be helpful to me, given my environment.

Thanks,

Anthony.

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Anthony,

First, I am not a storage guru, but I will give it shot anyway

The nice thing about the 6500 series is that you can enable Jumbo frames per blade or per interface, so it doesn't effect the entire switch  It is not global like the 3560 or 3750 series.As far as access port or trunk port, it appears that most people trunk the connections from the switch since there are usually more than one vlan involved.

I also found this belog that may be helpful to you.

http://kendrickcoleman.com/index.php?/Tech-Blog/vsphere-host-nic-design-6-nics.html

HTH

Thank you, Reza for your quick response.  The blog post was very informative and helpful. 

Anthony

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card