Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Confused about forwarding rate spec of cisco/nortel/3com

Hello,

I am currently comparing the specs of 3com,cisco,nortel for a new requirement ( Layer 2 edge switches)

These are the forwarding rates of these models obtained form website and brouchures.

3com Superstack 4200 G = 101.2 Mpps

Nortel 425-24/48 T = 10.2 Mpps

Catalyst 2960G-48 = 38.0 Mpps

I think the units are in million Packets per second.

I am surprised that 3com has better forwading rate than comparable cisco and nortel model .So is there a mistake in the way i am reading the specs? Also i know that cisco uses default modified cut-through forwarding method taking in first 64k of frame and then forwarding. So could the reason be they have a lower forwarding rate listed being that 3com is listing their fast forward method spec. Same goes more Nortel who got it way lower than the rest. I know they make switches for ISPs but why the low specs.

Looking for some expert opinions.

regards,

Hazeen

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: Confused about forwarding rate spec of cisco/nortel/3com

The Forwarding rate based on 64-byte packets for Catalyst 2960G-48TC is 39.0 Mpps, where Mpps stands for Millions of Packets Per Second.

Adaptive Cut-Through mode is the default switching mode in Catalyst 2600 series switches. The Catalyst 2600 operates in cut-through mode until it reaches the error rate high threshold set in the Switching Mode. Then, the Catalyst 2600 changes to store-and-forward mode. It will change back to cut-through mode when it falls below the error rate low threshold.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content