cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Confused by Telnet IP address

learnerkang
Level 1
Level 1

I'm confused by Telenet IP address and Loopback IP address. I thought they are same one but it seems not.

Can anyone help me with it?

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I believe that it is clear what is the loopback address, but I am not clear about your term of telnet address. Can you clarify what it means?

If I make a guess I would guess that telnet address is the address that you use to telnet to the device. But the problem with this definition is that there are potentially multiple addresses that you can use to telnet to a device. For example you might telnet to a router using its loopback interface address and also by using its serial interface address and also by using its FastEthernet address.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The Loopback IP address is often used as the telnet IP address since it's always up/up.

It's also beneficial to remember one IP address per router instead of remembering the WAN or LAN IP address.

As for the telnet IP address, you can use any address from the device you are trying to telnet to that meets the following guidelines:

- Has a route back to the source (the telnet station) and the source has a route to the destination (the telnet server).

- It should be in up/up status.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks for Edison and Rick's help. It is much appreciated!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card