cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect new 2950 to live network

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9
Hi all, Just a quick one, we need to connect a new and blank 2950 switch to the live network. This is due to no IT available and console cable at the remote site. My question, can I configure the uplink switch to mode access and use a data VLAN (ie VLAN 20) will this work on the new switch and restricted to VLAN 20 only?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

well, if you configure an access port within VLAN20 on the uplink switch and conect the new switch (only!) to it, it will work somehow:

You will get the VLAN1 on the new switch connected to VLAN20 on the uplink switch and the devices connected to the new switch will get access to your current VLAN20 only.

But the new switch will remian in the default configuration and you will have no chance to change anything on it.

So I'd not like this solution.

Why don't you ask somebody on the site to connect a PC with RDP enabled to the new switch console for you?

Best regards,

Milan

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

2950 does not support ZeroTouch SmartInstall.  

I do not think this will work because, by default, all the ports are in VLAN 1.  So if you have a port that requires VLANs other than VLAN 1 then this won't work.  

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

well, if you configure an access port within VLAN20 on the uplink switch and conect the new switch (only!) to it, it will work somehow:

You will get the VLAN1 on the new switch connected to VLAN20 on the uplink switch and the devices connected to the new switch will get access to your current VLAN20 only.

But the new switch will remian in the default configuration and you will have no chance to change anything on it.

So I'd not like this solution.

Why don't you ask somebody on the site to connect a PC with RDP enabled to the new switch console for you?

Best regards,

Milan

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi milan,

i just configured the said setup and it actually works!

#sh run int f0/1
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 158 bytes
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
 description ### Trunk to Cabin Office ###
 switchport access vlan 20
 switchport mode access
 switchport voice vlan 1
end

#sh ip arp vrf <VRF>
Protocol  Address          Age (min)  Hardware Addr   Type   Interface
Internet  147.x.y.z           1   d4ae.52bf.2cfa  ARPA   GigabitEthernet0/0.20
Internet  147.x.y.z            1   bc30.5bec.1112  ARPA   GigabitEthernet0/0.20
Internet  147.x.y.z            6   d067.e5ee.99fa  ARPA   GigabitEthernet0/0.20
Internet  147.x.y.z           11   d4ae.52bf.f6b9  ARPA   GigabitEthernet0/0.20
Internet  147.x.y.z           -   24e9.b341.3340  ARPA   GigabitEthernet0/0.20

i know i read this somewhere but i haven't actually implemented it.

like i said, there's no IT and console cable at the site so we have no choice but to hook it up.

we'll just arrange an IT to help us console some other time.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card