cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting 2 different domains, same physical location

richardmnwc555
Level 1
Level 1

We have 2 separate networks, each with a different domain. Each network's domain

controllers and servers are in the same physical location. Each network/domain has

its own router and public address. If I connect a port on a switch on one of the

networks (192.168.10.X) with a port on a switch used on the other network

(192.168.150.X), that is behind the router and firewall connections, will the

different networks be able to communicate with each other? (ping, shared folders,

etc.) If I set up a trust relationship between my 2 networks, so that they have the

same forest, would my switch to switch connection work then?

5 Replies 5

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Richard:

From the perspective of inter-subnet/vlan routing, to be able to pass traffic between two vlans, you will need a router.

If the two subnets belong to the same vlan, then hosts on each subnet will be able to communicate amongst themselves using layer-2/MAC addresses.

Example:

Vlan 10

ip address range: 10.10.0.0/23 gives you two subnets.

10.10.0.0/24

10.10.1.0/24.

Hosts on each of these subnets will be able to communicate with each other without the need for a routing engine because they belong to the same vlan. If they didn't, that is when you would need a router/L3 switch for inter-vlan routing.

HTH

Victor

Thanks Victor. We will try that, and I will post if we were successful.

I'm sure you will be if you follow that paradigm.

Good luck!

You were right, we were able to set this up by changing the 2 domain controllers that we wanted to connect by changing the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0. Then we were able to setup the trusts between them. Thanks for your help!

You're welcome. Now dont forget to give me all my ratings. :-D

Victor

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: