Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting 2 x 2960 stacks together

b2bconsulting
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can  i connect  2 x 2960 stacks ( 4 switches in each stack) together ?  Reason why i am asking is that we are looking replace 3750 with 2960SF  and some of the current 3750's have 8 switches connected in a stack. So i  will be replacing them with two stacks of 4 effectively using  Flexstack.

What  problems i can encounter if i do that ? i am inheriting this project  from someone else but the business decision has been made to do that so i  have to work with this scenario.

I  was thinking on the lines that i will Connect the Master 1 of stack 1  to Master 1 of stack 2 to provide redundancy. if this is possible then  can i manage all the switches via one Mgmt Ip or will i have to manage  them separately... It would be really appreciated if someone can explain  it more details.

I havent done this before so asking these questions to give me confidence that i am thinking on the right track...

7 Replies 7

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The maximum stack size for the 2960SF is 4 switches in a single stack.

If you need to connect two 4-switch stacks it would be a normal Ethernet connection and they would remain separately managed entities.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As noted by Marvin, and which you seem to already know, FlexStack is limited to 4 member switches.  You could interconnect the two stacks using MEC.

Unsure the 2960S supports it, but if they support clustering you could manage two stacks somewhat like a single unit.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can stack up to EIGHT 2960X together.  If you mix 2960S/SF with a 2960X, you can only stack FOUR.

If you plan to replace 3750, talk to your Cisco SE/AM and ask about the 3850

Leo,

Are you getting a dollar (AUS) for each 3850 that you get sold? JK

They are nice kit (as are the 2960X), just a little bit wet behind the ears still - we ran into some problems with early deployment of the integrated wireless controllers. Stay tuned for the little brother 3650 due out soon as well.

Are you getting a dollar (AUS) for each 3850 that you get sold?

No, Marvin.  That ain't my job.  LOL.

I'm just stating the obvious because I am envious.

They ain't selling the 3850 good enough down here. 

Stay tuned for the little brother 3650 due out soon as well.

Thanks for this, Marvin.  I'll go and dig this out.  But isn't the 3650 an existing product already?  Getting confused with the 3560. 

Yes, I just heard today these will begin shipping this month (October 2013).

The support pages and software should be put up in the next couple of weeks. They will run IOS-XE just like the 3850s do.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card