Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting Cisco 2690 Switch with Linksys

mkannan_29
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I want to configure a new Cisco 2960 swithc with the existing Linksys switch for this I am having some queries.

1) I am having 4 Vlans in my new switch(Old switch has 3 Vlans only) & If the VTP mode is transparent then all the new 4 Vlans will be reachable or else only the 3 old Vlans will be reachable?

2) While connecting the new Cisco switch STP convergnece will start or not? If it starts then what's the steps to avoid the same.

3) How to change  the revision number in my Cisco switch.

Regards,

M.K

2 Replies 2

Actually Linksys swtches does not support VTP. So no issue with revision # etc or mode. Linksys switches support 802.1q.

You may manually add all individual VLANs to the trunk port.

STP convergence will take place on default settings.

You can reset the revision number to change the VTP domain       name, and then change the name back to the original name.

Regards,

Anser

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

mkannan_29 wrote:

Hi All,

I want to configure a new Cisco 2960 swithc with the existing Linksys switch for this I am having some queries.

1) I am having 4 Vlans in my new switch(Old switch has 3 Vlans only) & If the VTP mode is transparent then all the new 4 Vlans will be reachable or else only the 3 old Vlans will be reachable?

2) While connecting the new Cisco switch STP convergnece will start or not? If it starts then what's the steps to avoid the same.

3) How to change  the revision number in my Cisco switch.

Regards,

M.K

M.K

1) Doesn't matter which VTP mode, if the new switch has 4 vlans and the linksys only 3 of those 4 then from the linksys you will not be able to get to the 4th vlan so you would need to create that vlan on the linksys switch as well.

2) Yes there will be STP convergence. You can't avoid it so you should do this in a maintenance window. Should only be a potential outage of 1min at the most.

3) If you mean reset to 0 then simply change it to VTP transparent.

Jon

Cisco are currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card