Helpful
Replies

Connecting Server with 2NIC to different switches

samuel_M9
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I got this scenario

Server with Two NIC teamed using HP teaming tool. NIC#1 connects to SW1 and NIC#2 connects to SW2

SW1--------------------NIC_1 (SERVER) NIC_2--------------------SW2

Will the config be access-port on Sw1 & Sw2 connecting to Server.

Sw1 & Sw2 are connecting to 3750 as trunk ports

cheers

SAM

9 Replies 9

CSCO11508096
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

Yes, you can configure both the switch ports as a access port and allow the specific VLAN on that.

Thanks

Shashi

Hello,

It depends on what mode on nic teaming you are using.

Active/Standby (Nic Teaming)

- You will be fine

Active/Active (Nic Teaming)

- You will get mac flapping for sure. 

Solution  Connect 2 C3750 switches with the stack cables and then use cross-stack etherchannel features. 

HTH,

Toshi

Hi Toshi

On Server teaming is active/active; i would like to achieve load-sharing and redundancy. Is teaming on Server similar to link aggregation.

cheers

SAM

Hi,

Like I said, you can use LACP protocol on HP but you need to stack C3750 together with the stack cables and then use LACP on it.

HTH,

Toshi

Hi Toshi, thanks for replying the post.

There is some confusion. have a look at this

3750--------------Etherchannel--------------------------sw1_3020  < channel-protocol 1 >

3750--------------Etherchannel--------------------------sw2_3020  < channel-protocol 1 >

server_nic1-----------------------sw1_3020

server_nic2-----------------------sw2_3020

Server ( Host_1 ) got Microsoft HyperV running on it and will have 3 Virtual machine running on this Host_1

cheers

SAM

Hi Toshi,

attached diagram

Sam,

You are going to get a Mac Flapping problem with Active/Active on the server(NIC teaming). Why?

1. Blade Switch is just a switch. Unless you can stack(real) them together to ack as just one switch. It think it doesn't support.

2. You can group uplinks from blade switch to C3750 with LACP features.

3.  However, traffic from the server will go through C3750 with 2 paths. This is a problem.

I'd recommend you to use Active/Standby on the Server and do link-state tracking on Blade Switch. In case you lost the uplinks the server should know how to use another one by using this features. It's going to down all downlinks on the server when uplinks were down.

HTH,

Tothi

Hi Tothi

How do I configure link-state tracking on blade switch

cheers

SAM

Hello,

Check the document. It should have this option.

Toshi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card