cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting switch to 2948G

smivanowsky
Level 1
Level 1

I am having trouble connecting an "el cheapo" switch to a 2948G. I have set up a training room and needed a high density of PCs so I plugged a switch into a 2948G port. There is a button for up-link abd I get a link light and the 2948G indicates it is connected. I plug PCs into the "el cheapo" and can't get a dhcp address. They all have link lights and work when plugged directly to the 2948G. I have swapped the "el cheapo" with an old Cabletron and connections worked for a few days but now nothing. I had turned portfast off on the downlink port on the 2948G. Help.

4 Replies 4

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you hardcode an address on the el cheapo switch pc's do the connections work?

You might have to post the 2948 config . Where is the dhcp server ? Is it on the same subnet or a different subnet . What device is doing the routing ?

I tried hard coding an address and it didn't work on the el cheapo but it did work great durectly plugged in. I checked the cam table and it shows up on port 32. I turned on another PC in the el cheapo and it's mac address also shows up in the cam table. It is almost as if I am limited to one PC in the 2948G port. Cat OS is not my favorite.

If you are plugging back and forth between the 2948 and the attached switch be sure to do a clear cam dynamic on the 2948 to clear out the mac addresses. There should be no restrictions on mac addresses in the 2948 . If using a cheapo switch make sure the port on the 2948 fedding that is set as auto/auto for speed and duplex .

I tried the clear dynamic but with no luck. Here's the config that someone else setup. With the exception of the little switch we are trying to connect on 2/32 evrything else is working fine. I really appreciate your help. The faciltiy is locking up shortly but I will check replies remotely. Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card