Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting to ports on gig module

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

I have a question.we are having new 8 servers with dual nics which we would like to connect them on 6509 on gig module.i want to know will there be any problem relating to STP as both the nics will be active and they will be assigned in the same vlan.

Thanks

Mahmood

6 Replies 6

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Mahmood

You can also look for channeling both the nics and connecting onto the switch.

You can check for either port channel or ether channel config which can help u to achieve the combined speed of both the nics.

regds

Hi

Thanks for u r reply.But right now we dnot want any sort of channeling.just we want them to conect.so i want to know will there be any problem if we connect both the nics on the same module.i mean anything about stp loop.etc.

Thanks

Mahmood

you can go for teaming both nics on your server and then assign IP to that interface.

Hi Mahmood,

One of the things that can happen when a switch gets connected via multiple ports to a device not running spanning tree is that device will be ignorant of BPDUs and will create a loop.

I will also caution you - dual homed servers are second only to recklessly placed hubs as the source of network loops which can cause serisous issues. I would discuss this with the server manufacturer if your not sure before plugging both into the switch.

If possible avoid this situation and try to make etherchannel on switch and bundling you nic cards as one.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Hi

Thanks for u r reply.my doubt is if we connect the two nics on the same module each with differnt IP but same vlan.we r right now not plannig of teaming or ether-channel.so will it be safe to connect these machines.

u r comments please.

Thanks

Mahmood

Hi Mahmood,

No as per me its not safe enough. Same vlan means a common broadcast domain which can result in problem and may create loop.

HTH

Ankur

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card