cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connection between router and main switch

stephenrm3685
Level 1
Level 1

Currently my router is hooked up to 3 t1s. My connection between the router and main switch is 100 MB. The rest of the LAN is 1 gig. Would there be an advantage to upgrading the router to switch connection to 1 gig ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

stephenrm3685 wrote:

Thanks Jon for the info. I can see your point . But what if you had heavy traffic and it bottlenecked ?

Stephen

That is what i meant when i said if the router is purely there to connect LAN to WAN. Because if it is then you are simply moving the bottleneck ie. lets say you have 200Mbps of traffic hitting the router LAN interface. If you set it to 1Gbps there is no bottleneck but the WAN connection with it's T1s is still a bottleneck.

Also i say there is no bottleneck but just because a router has 1Gbps interfaces it doesn't mean it can support anywhere near that throughput.

If your router supported more than 100Mbps throughput and there were other bits of your LAN hanging off other router interfaces that were all 1Gbps capable then yes it would make sense.

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

stephenrm3685 wrote:

Currently my router is hooked up to 3 t1s. My connection between the router and main switch is 100 MB. The rest of the LAN is 1 gig. Would there be an advantage to upgrading the router to switch connection to 1 gig ?

Stephen,

It is good idea if you available Gig ports on your router and switch or have the budget to purchase the ports.  This way, all your connections are Gig and no bottleneck

HTH

Reza

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

stephenrm3685 wrote:

Stephen

If the router is there purely to provide connectivty between the LAN and the WAN then no not really as the limiting factor will always be your WAN bandwidth.

Jon

Thanks Jon for the info. I can see your point . But what if you had heavy traffic and it bottlenecked ?

stephenrm3685 wrote:

Stephen

That is what i meant when i said if the router is purely there to connect LAN to WAN. Because if it is then you are simply moving the bottleneck ie. lets say you have 200Mbps of traffic hitting the router LAN interface. If you set it to 1Gbps there is no bottleneck but the WAN connection with it's T1s is still a bottleneck.

Also i say there is no bottleneck but just because a router has 1Gbps interfaces it doesn't mean it can support anywhere near that throughput.

If your router supported more than 100Mbps throughput and there were other bits of your LAN hanging off other router interfaces that were all 1Gbps capable then yes it would make sense.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card