cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

connection via analgue dial up

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, If i was to connect to my isp using a 56k analogue modem, what kind of frames and traffic is it, is it still ip ? I gather they arent ethernet frames ?

6 Replies 6

Suggest you lookup PPP protocol.As that what must dial-ups use.

why does dial up have to use that ? and is ppp layer 2 or layer 3, i have been told it encapsulates the layer 3 info, in which case what is the layer 2 frame type ?

why does dial up have to use that ? and is ppp layer 2 or layer 3, i have been told it encapsulates the layer 3 info, in which case what is the layer 2 frame type ?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It is still ethernet and they are still ethernet frames , it is just another much slower way to connect to the internet .

are they ethernet frames but encapsulated in ppp frame ? or is the ip packet just encapsualted and the original ethernet frame remains ?

it is not an ethernet frame, for IP protocol it is the IP frame encapsulated in PPP, the ethernet mac addresses etc are stripped

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card