line con 0

password cisco

login

line aux 0

transport input all

line vty 0 4

login

================================================

there is no password configured for auxilary port, but when i issued the command " reload" and plug the removed the roll-over cable from console and plugged it in auxilary port , and tried to get into " enabled mode" i was prompted for password though no password was specified for " enabled mode" as can be seen from the above configurations.

Below i am connected to router by aux port.

press RETURN to get started!

Router>

Router>enable

Password:

Router#

Any body has any clue what is going on here?

thanks a lot!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Sarah,

You are a great student, good catch :)

Sorry for my mistake being Saturday night and all :)

I believe the password prompt is due to having a password under the console. The documentation indicates if the enable secret/password is missing and you have a password under the console line, this password will be used for all VTY connections. Now, the AUX port is not a VTY connection but perhaps is taking the VTY behavior. Can you remove the password from under the console connection and try again?

Here is the document illustrating what I just mentioned:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/security/command/reference/sec_e1.html#wp1034699

As for AUX port routing packets, a quick google search turned up this document:

http://www.networkingunlimited.com/white006.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks Edison !

By default" login" command is only present under line vty 04, line console 0 and line aux have no " login" command by default. As can be seen from the configuration for " line aux", has no login command but does have " transport input all" command.

So what is prompting router to ask for password when i connect to it by aux port?

if you don't mind, could you please explain the aux port 's purpose. For example: Book question

" can the auxilary port be used for anything besides remote modem user acess to a router?"

book's answer.

"yes for the direct attachment of a terminal and dial for the purpose of routing packets"

i am confused about how aux port can be used to route packets. how does router do that?

thanks a lot!

thanks a lot!

Sarah,

You are a great student, good catch :)

Sorry for my mistake being Saturday night and all :)

I believe the password prompt is due to having a password under the console. The documentation indicates if the enable secret/password is missing and you have a password under the console line, this password will be used for all VTY connections. Now, the AUX port is not a VTY connection but perhaps is taking the VTY behavior. Can you remove the password from under the console connection and try again?

Here is the document illustrating what I just mentioned:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/security/command/reference/sec_e1.html#wp1034699

As for AUX port routing packets, a quick google search turned up this document:

http://www.networkingunlimited.com/white006.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks a lot Edison for your reply and kind remarks!

I removed the console password, and tried to connect via aux port. Here is outcome:

router>enable

% No password set

Router>

============================================

The router did not prompt for password but i could not get into enabled mode.

It appears to me if one wants to get into enabled mode while being connected via aux port, password for enabled mode must be configured.

Thanks a lot and have a nice weekend !

It seems the document I mentioned was somewhat in target.

If you don't have enable password or enable secret configured in the router *and* you have a password under the line console, then you are prompted for a password when going into enable mode via VTY and AUX lines.

Now, it's really rare to have a router without an enable password or secret -or- local user authentication for that matter so this is something I don't come across very often but great find :)

Stop killing your brain cells and just configure the enable secret or password :)

__

Edison.

Sarah,

Alternatively you can configure "privilege level 15" under line VTY, AUX, or console and it will put you directly into priveliged exec mode.

HTH,

Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card