cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Console Cables

Robert Falconer
Level 1
Level 1

Has Cisco stopped shipping console cables with their products? I noticed it today when I opened up some new 3650s. Then I found that the 4451-x and 2960xr units that we purchased a little while ago didn't have console cables either.

Neither ribbon cable nor USB.

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Make sense anyway. 

The amount of console cable use is going down.  This is why Cisco's enabled mini-USB console.   And you can get those cheaper than Cisco is selling the mini-USB cable.

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

They stopped shipping the switches with Console cables a while back, probably more than a year ago actually.

Considering most enterprise switches are £1500+ anyway, it does seem a little tight of them but as Leo says, Mini USB is being used more and more.....although I still prefer an Old School cable :)

If memory serves me correct, when they started shipping out 2960S, 3560-X and 3750-X was the time when Cisco stopped shipping complimentary console cable.  The only difference between the Cisco mini-USB cable and the ones you'll find in any electronics shop is the color.  Functionality-wise, they are just the same. 

You may need to download the console driver from Cisco.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card