Views
Helpful
Replies

Console timeout problems

matthius518
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Just started studying for the CCENT and have purchased a 2610, 2611XM and 2950 to do some practice.

So far I have connected to all devices using the console port and a prolific based serial to usb converter.

I can connect to all devices using putty, however after approx 5 minutes all seem to freeze/timeout. Basically the console freezes and can't input or anything, or enter any thing etc. To reset I have to un plug USB and reload putty, which then brings me back to the devices therefore I know its not a device issue also as its the same for all 3.

I have tried, 2 diff PCs both with win7.

Tried tera term, and same thing.

tried new drives for usb to serial.

set the exec-timeout to inifinte on the devices

I have setup telent access and this work fine!

All i can think is that the console cable is dud or the serial to USB is?

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue or can help. Would a faulty cable cause this timeout after approx 5 mins? Thanks

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

It seems you have done everything possible to troubleshot the issue and the only thing that is left is anging the console cable and/or the USB to serial converter. I would suspect that the converter is bad, but than again you never know.

If you are going to replace the converter use a different brand than what you have.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card