Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Continue to supernet or not to supernet...

In the coming weeks we plan to install 2 new Cat3560s to serve as redundant distribution switches to an existing switch network comprised of Cat 3550's, 3548's & 3524's. We've also been given the go ahead to 'clean things up' during this process.

Their network is 10.60.4.0/22; subnets dot4, dot5, dot6 & dot7. Out of the 4 subnets dot4 has the most devices, about 80-90. The remaining subnets have about 40-50 each.

Other than it'd be easier to leave it as is, would there be any benefit to move away from the supernet and subnet 10.60.4.0 to four individual /24 subnets?

We'd like to make dot4 & dot5 'Data Center' subnets and 6 & 7 as 'User' subnets.

Thanks

2 REPLIES

Re: Continue to supernet or not to supernet...

Hi

It would be always better to subnet the /22 into /24s , so that the broadcast domain is reduced . One more thing , in case of any virus attack in the user subnets , it may also affect ur datacenter servers .You can also have some restrictions when you split into multiple networks.

Hope this helps.

regards

vanesh k

Re: Continue to supernet or not to supernet...

Thanks Vanesh.

I thought about the benefits in reducing the broadcast domain but I was trying to think about a more tangible reason mgmt will understand.

I think the virus reason will do the trick.

Views
Helpful
Replies