cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Convert Hybrid CATos to Native IOS - How to confirmation

paul.coley
Level 1
Level 1

I have a single 6509 with dual supervisors (WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE) & dual MFSC (WS-F6K-MSFC2)....I would like to convert this catalyst OS to full Cisco IOS...I have found a few documents on www.cisco.com but would like to confirm which in fact is the best document to perform the conversion. Please confirm the following links I have found.

1. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa6.shtml

2. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a0080816fbc.shtml

3. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008070f124.shtml

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paul.matthews
Level 5
Level 5

The first one is the one I have used. I don't rally like utilities for doing things like this, because if you have a problem, the first thing is to work out just what the utility has done and what it has not. At least doing it by hand you know how far you got, and as good practice you should be logging console to a file, so you also have a record of what you did and what the switch said if you need to call for help.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Paul,

the links look like the correct ones.

One point of attention is the presence of second supervisor and second MSFC.

You need to do the procedure twice one for each sup2/MSFC2 pair

Convert Redundant Supervisor Engines

Do not attempt to convert one Supervisor Engine with another Supervisor Engine that is installed at the same time. The conversion process was not designed for this type of conversion.

Complete these steps when you convert redundant Supervisor Engines:

Eject the standby Supervisor Engine.

Complete the appropriate conversion procedure on the active Supervisor Engine, and then verify.

Note: For the procedure, see the Step-by-Step Procedure to Convert from CatOS to Cisco IOS System Software section of this document.

Eject the active Supervisor Engine.

Insert the standby Supervisor Engine, and complete and verify the same procedure.

Insert the other Supervisor Engine for a redundant configuration.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

paul.matthews
Level 5
Level 5

The first one is the one I have used. I don't rally like utilities for doing things like this, because if you have a problem, the first thing is to work out just what the utility has done and what it has not. At least doing it by hand you know how far you got, and as good practice you should be logging console to a file, so you also have a record of what you did and what the switch said if you need to call for help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: