Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Converting Nexus 2000 FEX from Single Homed to Multihomed

Greetings!

I have a 2248TP FEX and two 5548UP Nexi.  Yesterday, one of the 5548s experienced an issue that caused it to go offline.  The FEX is single-homed to that 5548, and so everything connected to it went offline as well.

I want to multihome the FEX to both 5548s to avoid future outages to the FEX should one 5548 go offline.  However, I am aware that both 5548s must have identical configuration for the FEX.  Will multihoming it cause the FEX to stop operating because 5548 #2 will come up with no configuration for the FEX?  I do not have the 5548s doing any configuration sharing, they are separately configured.

I am on NXOS version 6.0(2)N2(4).

Thank you!
Henry

• LAN Switching and Routing
1 REPLY
VIP Super Bronze

Hi Henry,Before you do

Hi Henry,

Before you do anything, you need to configure your 5548 switches with VPC.  You need to have one or 2 connections between the 5548s and configure them as VPC peer-link.  You also need to configure the out of band management port on each switch as your VPC peer keep-alive.

Once all the VPC configs are complete, you can connect your FEXs to both 5ks and create a VPC for each one.

Please refer to this document for config example:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/design/vpc_design/vpc_best_practices_design_guide.pdf

HTH

Views
Helpful
Replies