cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Copy startup config from 877W router to another 870 series router?

TRVA_ADMIN
Level 1
Level 1

I have an 877W router that I would like to have a 2nd pre-configured backup for. I was thinking of getting another 870 series (probably an 877) router, as the more expensive wireless option is not actually required. Am I right to assume that I could simply copy the contents of my current config.txt file onto the second router? Thanks

4 Replies 4

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Michael,

Set the router as tftp server from where you want to copy the configuration.

#config t
#tftp-server nvram:startup-config

Check that the acl is not blcoking tftp(69) port.

go to the 2nd router to which it is connected try to ping the router which is configured as tftp.

do...

#copy tftf: to nvram:
specify what needs to file name of the startup config and ip address

Please rate all the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

bretthadden
Level 1
Level 1

Michael

That is correct as long as the version of IOS is similar and that you are not using the wireless option then you should be fine.

I would suggest copying the config to the router out of a text doc just to make sure it takes the config correctly.

Cheers

Pawan Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Would like to share i do it and it works successfully 99.99% of the times.

877 Router - enable

# copy start test

have a TFTP server ready

copy flash:test tftp

then just log into 870 router -

copy tftp flash

and finally

# copy test start

# wr

This should help.

Regards,

Pawan Sharma

http://www.ebrahma.com

Regards,
Pawan Sharma
https://itgears.io

Michael

As others have suggested in general it should be possible to copy the startup config (or even the running config) and copy it to startup on a second router. The suggestions of using TFTP to copy to the backup router would work - but only if you have already configured interfaces with IP addresses and no shut them. Otherwise I would suggest that you copy the config from the active router to your PC and then establish a console session from your PC to the backup router and then copy and paste the config into the backup router.

Also be aware that doing this is dependent on having similar amounts of memory and flash on the routers, and having the backup router running a version of code similar to what is running in the active. Also any mismatch of interfaces (or interface naming) may impact how successful it is to copy the config directly into the backup.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card