cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Copying Tcl Script & settings from Active sup to Standby sup

paul.omahony
Level 1
Level 1

Hello I'm wondering if anybody knows how to copy EEM Tcl settings from the active sup720 to the standby sup720.

I don't have much details at the moment as I have not viewed the problem myself, I've only heard about the problem.

I can only say that some settings(but not all) appear in the standby sup, when the settings are committed in the active sup.

The Tcl file is saved to disk0:

The event manager directory for user policies is set to point at disk0:

but the policy itself is not registered in the standby sup

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I cannot reproduce. I have a 6506 with dial Sup 320s running 12.2(18)SXF11. I copied a simple policy, xxx.tcl to disk0:/policies and slavedisk0:/policies. I configured:

event manager directory user policy disk0:policies

I then registered the policy:

event manager policy xxx.tcl

As soon as I did a write mem, I saw the config sync to the slave. I then did:

hw-module module 6 reset

To failover to the hot standby module 5. I then did a show run on the switch (running on mod 5), and I see:

event manager policy xxx.tcl type user

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In order for both Sups to register the EEM policies, both require access to the scripts. If they are only copied to the disk0: device of the active Sup, then the backup Sup will not be able to register the policies.

To do this, you typically need to copy the file to the same directory on slavedisk0:. For example, if your policy directory is disk0:/policies, then copy the same policy scripts to slavedisk0:/policies.

Hi

Yes the Tcl scripts are copied to the slavedisk0:/policies

but

The "event manager policy filename.tcl type user" is not registering on the slave sup. Any ideas why?

Assuming the policy existed in slavedisk0: prior to being registered, the standby Sup should add the command. There were some bugs early on with this, but they should be fixed in recent code. What version of code is this device running? Since it is there now, you might also try running:

no event manager policy filename.tcl

event manager policy filename.tcl

Sorry I gave you wrong information before the sups are 320sup not 720sup

The version is 12.2(18)SXF11

I unregistered everything, deleted the tcl files, restarted the switch and started over again.

I made sure all the files existed in both sup320 disk0: then registered the directory and the EEM Tcl files. After committing the changes I forced a switch-over and still the policy is not registering on the slave.

Maybe it's the version like you said. I'll keep trying.

Can you post the show ver from this switch? I want to get the full image name.

Image full name = s3223-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF11.bin

Image Version = Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) s3223_rp Software (s3223_rp-ADVIPSERVICESK9_WAN-M), Version 12.2(18)SXF11, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

I just confirmed this should be working (i.e. no known bugs in your code), but I haven't yet tried this myself. One recommendation is to make sure there are no slashes in the policy directory. Try:

Then see if you can register your policies on both sups.

I cannot reproduce. I have a 6506 with dial Sup 320s running 12.2(18)SXF11. I copied a simple policy, xxx.tcl to disk0:/policies and slavedisk0:/policies. I configured:

I then registered the policy:

event manager policy xxx.tcl

As soon as I did a write mem, I saw the config sync to the slave. I then did:

hw-module module 6 reset

To failover to the hot standby module 5. I then did a show run on the switch (running on mod 5), and I see:

event manager policy xxx.tcl type user

I got it working by following the steps as you recommended. I must have missed a step the last time I tried to set it up.

Any chance you know how to install the Tcl policy on multiple sup's? I was thinking macro but not sure yet?

I don't follow. You mean install to multiple devices?

Yes let's say about 50 devices. Each device has an Active sup and a hot sup.

How would I set up the Tcl policy through a macro or is there a better way?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card