Views
Helpful
Replies

Core 4506

Ali Bahnam
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

I will go to buy a core 4506 but I'm comfusing about the Sup engines and the Fiber module so please can you support me in the following:-

what is the different between the Sup7 and Sup7L??

in the fiber module that I will go to buy is it contain the SFP inside or I have to buy the SFP ( WS-X4612-SFP-E ). also what is the different between the SFP and GBIC??

Appreciate your kindly support,        

4 Replies 4

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi ,

Check this pic:

GBIC - Datasheet definition:

The industry-standard Cisco Gigabit Interface Converter (GBIC) is a hot-swappable input/output device that plugs into a Gigabit Ethernet port or slot, linking the port with the network. Cisco GBICs can be interchanged on a wide variety of Cisco products and can be intermixed in combinations of 1000BASE-T, 1000BASE-SX, 1000BASE-LX/LH, 1000BASE-ZX, or 1000BASE-CWDM interfaces on a port-by-port basis.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6577/product_data_sheet09186a008014cb5e.html

SFP - Datasheet definition:

The industry-standard Cisco® Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) Gigabit Interface Converter is a hot-swappable input/output device that plugs into a Gigabit Ethernet port or slot, linking the port with the network (Figure 1). SFPs can be used and interchanged on a wide variety of Cisco products and can be intermixed in combinations of 1000BASE-SX, 1000BASE-LX/LH, 1000BASE-ZX, or 1000BASE-BX10-D/U on a port-by-port basis.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6577/product_data_sheet09186a008014cb5e.html

Ok, now if you have a look at the above datasheets for GBIC's & SFP's, you would find that GBIC & SFP are different in there sizes, hence it is more of a question as to which gigabit solution your device supports. If your device supports GBIC, like 4500's, you will have to go for a GBIC, & if your device supports SFP, like 3750's, you will have to go for a SFP. These days all the latest devices would have SFP's normally.

Also, here is a very good document which lists almost all the GBIC's & SFP's & the devices on which they are supported, you may check your device on this list & decide which one can you use accordingly.

Regards

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The Data Sheet for the Sup7E and the Sup7LE are found below:

Cisco Catalyst 4500E Supervisor Engine 7-E

Cisco Catalyst 4500E Supervisor Engine 7L-E

Please take note that these supervisor engines will only work with "-E", "R-E" or "R+E" chassis.  Legacy 4000/4500 chassis will not be supported.

At the bottom of the page, there's a section called "Supported Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series Line Cards and Modules" and this will guide you whether or not your line card is supported.

Dears,

As I understood that I have to buy the SFP adapters seperately than the module where the module ports is empty.

Also I have edge switches in the floors (Planet edge switch) so the fiber port I will use is SFP also I have to check the cable if it single or multi mode??

Please advise,

As I understood that I have to buy the SFP adapters seperately than the module where the module ports is empty.

Of course, SFP modules are always an add-on purchase.

Also I have edge switches in the floors (Planet edge switch) so the fiber port I will use is SFP also I have to check the cable if it single or multi mode??

That is correct.  You need to determine if what kind of fibre is being used in your inter-floor fibre run.  It could either be single-mode or multi-mode.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card