Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Core 4506

Dears,

I will go to buy a core 4506 but I'm comfusing about the Sup engines and the Fiber module so please can you support me in the following:-

what is the different between the Sup7 and Sup7L??

in the fiber module that I will go to buy is it contain the SFP inside or I have to buy the SFP ( WS-X4612-SFP-E ). also what is the different between the SFP and GBIC??

Appreciate your kindly support,        

Everyone's tags (2)
4 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Core 4506

Hi ,

Check this pic:

GBIC - Datasheet definition:

The industry-standard Cisco Gigabit Interface Converter (GBIC) is a hot-swappable input/output device that plugs into a Gigabit Ethernet port or slot, linking the port with the network. Cisco GBICs can be interchanged on a wide variety of Cisco products and can be intermixed in combinations of 1000BASE-T, 1000BASE-SX, 1000BASE-LX/LH, 1000BASE-ZX, or 1000BASE-CWDM interfaces on a port-by-port basis.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6577/product_data_sheet09186a008014cb5e.html

SFP - Datasheet definition:

The industry-standard Cisco® Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) Gigabit Interface Converter is a hot-swappable input/output device that plugs into a Gigabit Ethernet port or slot, linking the port with the network (Figure 1). SFPs can be used and interchanged on a wide variety of Cisco products and can be intermixed in combinations of 1000BASE-SX, 1000BASE-LX/LH, 1000BASE-ZX, or 1000BASE-BX10-D/U on a port-by-port basis.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6577/product_data_sheet09186a008014cb5e.html

Ok, now if you have a look at the above datasheets for GBIC's & SFP's, you would find that GBIC & SFP are different in there sizes, hence it is more of a question as to which gigabit solution your device supports. If your device supports GBIC, like 4500's, you will have to go for a GBIC, & if your device supports SFP, like 3750's, you will have to go for a SFP. These days all the latest devices would have SFP's normally.

Also, here is a very good document which lists almost all the GBIC's & SFP's & the devices on which they are supported, you may check your device on this list & decide which one can you use accordingly.

Regards

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Core 4506

The Data Sheet for the Sup7E and the Sup7LE are found below:

Cisco Catalyst 4500E Supervisor Engine 7-E

Cisco Catalyst 4500E Supervisor Engine 7L-E

Please take note that these supervisor engines will only work with "-E", "R-E" or "R+E" chassis.  Legacy 4000/4500 chassis will not be supported.

At the bottom of the page, there's a section called "Supported Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series Line Cards and Modules" and this will guide you whether or not your line card is supported.

Core 4506

Dears,

As I understood that I have to buy the SFP adapters seperately than the module where the module ports is empty.

Also I have edge switches in the floors (Planet edge switch) so the fiber port I will use is SFP also I have to check the cable if it single or multi mode??

Please advise,

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Core 4506

As I understood that I have to buy the SFP adapters seperately than the module where the module ports is empty.

Of course, SFP modules are always an add-on purchase.

Also I have edge switches in the floors (Planet edge switch) so the fiber port I will use is SFP also I have to check the cable if it single or multi mode??

That is correct.  You need to determine if what kind of fibre is being used in your inter-floor fibre run.  It could either be single-mode or multi-mode.

Views
Helpful
Replies