Views
Helpful
Replies

CORE for 50 users max

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I Have 50 users.i need to implement a CORE switch?  5 switches  series 500 express are curently present ,so wich switch you recomded to fits as CORE according  My small envirment?pls explain why?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

There are alot of things to consider.

What is your budget?

Will you need room to expand more users?

Will you be implimenting VoIP?

What other devices will you be connecting....Routers, Firewall, PC's, Servers, Phones, or anything else?

Will you be using VLAN's?

Will you need any type of security?

I am not a design guy so I am sure there are some other things to consider but this would be a start. If you can post this information we can see if we can help.

Mike

Hello mike

I Have all of  these:Routers, Firewall, PC's, Servers,IP Phone

regarding the budget is not open that much,now any advise

thanks

Thanks burleyman

ericn8484_2
Level 1
Level 1

With 50 users as your max, I would recommend looking at either the Cisco Catalyst 3560 or 3750 as they can perform layer 3 functions. The decision between the two models would be based on your requirements for your environment.

If you are not concerned about high availability or 99.999% uptime, I would look at a single 3560 series switch with the enhanced IOS for layer 3 routing protocols.

If you want high availability I would look at two Cisco Catalyst 3750 series switches stacked. Stacked Cisco Catalyst 3750 switches look and act as one switch which allows you to dual home your access switches. If one of your 3750s fail, the other one will keep the network up and if you are using etherchannel or LACP,  your users most likely won't notice the failure occured.

The Cisco Catalyst 4500 series switches are nice but I think it would be major overkill for your environment, but if you don't have a budget to spend, go for it

Thanks a lot ericn8484

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

If you look at upgrade or some expansion in the future and would like to implement Security , QoS , and unified communication, I would highly advice for 4500 series.

If you are also looking for redundancy (power supply , supervisor engine) and integrated PoE , the 4500 series is the way to go.

HTH

Mohamed

Thanks Mohamed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card