Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Core Switch

To all

i need to make my core switch transparent for my access users the Gateway should be Firewall ip

1)if valn A access swicth users needs to communicate with other vlan B access switch they have to perfom intervaln routing

2) for going Outside to network Gateway should be Firewall ip

kinldy share some thoughts and idea with me i shall be very thanksful

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

faizankhursheed wrote:

To all

i need to make my core switch transparent for my access users the Gateway should be Firewall ip

1)if valn A access swicth users needs to communicate with other vlan B access switch they have to perfom intervaln routing

You have 2 choices -

1) make the core switch simply L2 ie. it does no inter-vla routng and have the vlan interfaces on the firewall

2) make the core switch responsible for the inter-vlan routing and then have a default-route on the core switch pointing to the firewall inside interface. You would also need to add routes to the firewall for the vlans on the core switch.

Assuming your core switch is L3 capable and you don't have to firewall between internal vlans option 2) is much better because it is standard setup and often a lot easier to configure than inter-vlan routng on your firewall which might not even be able to do that.

If you did use option 2) then the clients default-gateway would not be the firewall but the L3 vlan interface on the core switch.

Jon

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

faizankhursheed wrote:

To all

You have 2 choices -

1) make the core switch simply L2 ie. it does no inter-vla routng and have the vlan interfaces on the firewall

2) make the core switch responsible for the inter-vlan routing and then have a default-route on the core switch pointing to the firewall inside interface. You would also need to add routes to the firewall for the vlans on the core switch.

Assuming your core switch is L3 capable and you don't have to firewall between internal vlans option 2) is much better because it is standard setup and often a lot easier to configure than inter-vlan routng on your firewall which might not even be able to do that.

If you did use option 2) then the clients default-gateway would not be the firewall but the L3 vlan interface on the core switch.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card