Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Corporate LAN to remote office design

Hi Guys,

Want to know your thoughts and Cisco best practises.

We currently have remote offices VPNing back to HQ and is working fine but one of the office wants to get a leased line directly into HQ.

How can I extend a VLAN over the leased line? what do I need to consider?

Thanks

• LAN Switching and Routing
Everyone's tags (5)
2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Corporate LAN to remote office design

In the UK, it's possible to get cost-effective layer-2 WAN links, thanks to modern nationwide IP networks. Check with your in-country ISPs to find out what they offer.

If your two sites are quite close, then you might be able to get a dedicated fibre connection. Our main provider offers a route distance of up to 40km. This approach is more cost-effective for larger bandwidths, like 1Gbps or 10Gbps.

Another consideration is whether or not you want redundant fibre paths. Be aware that most providers will not guarantee fibre sepracy throughout the lifetime of the contract. Ideally, you want the carrier to have an internal sign-off process for any proposed fibre works that will run close by your own fibre.

However, do you really need to extend the VLAN? I don't know much about applications, but whenever I ask if an appliaction needs to be on the same subnet between sites, then the answer these days is usually 'no'. Routing between networks will also prevents the spread of virus' between sites.

Re: Corporate LAN to remote office design

I had a situation where I wanted to extend VLAns between two sites.

When the new WAN was first installed it only supported OSI Layer3 traffic.

It depends on your Service Provider but in my case I then had to ask my Service Provider to enable QinQ VLAN tunneling on the PE routers so that it also supported trunking between the two sites.

Views
Helpful
Replies