cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Corrupt VLANs

townofnewmarket
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all. Have been having some one way audio lately...hard to track down. Anyways, I set up a free software package called "OrkAudio" that records the conversations from the phones on the network (for Police and Fire). When I set up the required VLANs, I got a warning about "this is the old way to do it, it may corrupt the VLAN database, there is a new way to do it, etc etc". I am wondering if I have some corrupt VLAN stuff somewhere and that is causing one way audio every so often. How would I tell if the VLAN dbs are corrupt? What is the new way to do it? And OrkAudio requires one port on a server to be set in promiscuous mode...I don't think that would hurt anything, but what does everyone else think (by HURT, I mean weirdly redirect Cisco traffic).

Thanks for any insights at all!

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Doug

The message about the old versus the new way is pretty standard and i have never known using the old way to be the cause of vlan corruption.

If you run "sh vlan" and everything looks okay then i suspect it is.

I suspect if it is intermittent you need to look at

1) Firewalls in the path

2) your routing setup - make sure your routing is stable

3) Link utilisation - are any links in the path fully utilised

4) interface drops on devices along the path

You may also want to consider cross-posting this into one of the "Unified Communications and Video" forums as after a quick search this sort of thing gets asked in those forums most frequently.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card