Views
Helpful
Replies

Couple of multicast Questions

marioderosa2008
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am trying to configure an IPTV proof of Concept on a layer3 3560G switch. I am having a problem when the source encoder is in a different IP subnet to the Decoder endpoints, they cannot recieve the stream.

When i run the command "show ip igmp snooping groups" I can see that the decoder endpoints switchports are members of the correct multicast group but an error is just displayed on the TV screen saying that stream is unavailable (or something like that).

I can also see that the interfaces of the decoder endpoints have no traffic going in or out so they are definately not recieving any stream. I can also see that the encoder switchport has a constant stream of traffic, so the encoder is definately streaming.

If I put the encoder and decoders in to the same VLAN, then everything works fine.

So, I have two questions...

1) what do I need to do in order to get Inter-VLAN multicast to work on a 3560G switch with directly connected SVI's? I have followed this guide http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_52_se/configuration/guide/swigmp.html (IGMP snooping bit anyway) and I cannot get it to work. Do I need to run a Multicast routing protocol? I looked at trying to configure a version of PIM, but the commands were not availabe in Interface configuration mode.

2) When the encoder is streaming its traffic, should I be seeing it's switchport as a member of the multicast group that it is streaming to under the output "show ip igmp snooping groups"? Currently i do not see the encoder's switchport as joining that group despite the fact that multicst is actually working when all devices are in the same VLAN.

Any help is appreciated on this. As I said I am new to Multicast and I have been tasked with setting up basic IPTV on my enterprise network.

thanks again

Mario                  

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mario,

Indeed, if the multicast sender is in a different VLAN than the receiver, IP multicast routing must be activated. I am not sure if your existing license supports multicast routing, though. Do you have ip multicast-routing or ip multicast-routing distributed global configuration command available? What exact IOS version and license are you running?

A multicast source does not subscribe itself into the multicast group it is streaming into, therefore, it is normal you do not see its IP address in the show ip igmp snooping groups command.

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter!...

OK... i think that the IOS i am running does not support multicast routing as i do not have those commands available...

I have a couple of other questions... the first being, if i use the cisco feature navigator... what should I be looking for to choose the right IOS?

Thanks

Mario

Hi Mario,

Look for a feature along the lines of "multicast routing" or similar. However, for the 3560, the choice of different IOS features is relatively limited. You need to run IPSERVICES feature set for full multicast routing support, whatever version (12.2(55)SE7 or 12.2(55)SE8 are recommended, though).

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card