Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

couples of questions:)

Dear Netpro!

i have a couples of questions:

1)in ospf in wich cases we must use the virtual-lINK?

2)where/whem in EIGRP we need to summarize networks under the Interface?

3)what this commands mean?

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 null0

then redis this static route into eigrp

many 10xs

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: couples of questions:)

Hi

1.Virtual link is normaly used for temporary purpose while trobleshooting.It is used to connect a non-backbone area to backbone area through another non-backbone area.Also used to avoid partitioning of backbone(area 0).

2.Summarization is normaly used when u want to minimize the size of routing table,hence u can put a single summarized routes summarizing the specific routes.It also helps as the upadtes also will be only this smmarized routes supressing the specific routes.So the link is better utilised.(not much a benifit in eigrp as the updates are not periodic)

3.This is a static entry point towards virtual null interface,ie ,default routes are droped.The redistribution might be done for any lab purpose or something ,ie,when u want a default route to be redistributed into eigrp etc.

arun

Re: couples of questions:)

Hi

Just 2 small additions to Arun:

Virtual links can also be used, when e.g 2 companies merge each having an area 0 at their premises. The 2 area 0's can be consolidated by connecting them through a non-backbone area (using the virtual link feature), thus connecting their OSPF networks together.

In case of EIGRP question, it appears to me as if there was an untold question: is it possible to summarize only at the interface?

The answer is 'yes'. At least I don't know any possibilities in EIGRP other than summarizing routes at the inteface.

Cheers:

Istvan

Views
Helpful
Replies