Views
Helpful
Replies

CPU and Process

Rojer-bkk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have an issue about high CPU on router some model, when issue command show process cpu. The CPU utilization for five or one minute shown 60 and 70  respectively, however, i didn't see which process in lists has an affects to CPU utilization. why?

Thank you

2 Replies 2

danrya
Level 1
Level 1

Try using "show processes cpu sorted" to see what the top processes are.  If your still unsure, post the first page of that output for review.

Dan

Nicholas Oliver
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Rojer-bkk,

One of the most common causes behind seeing this type of output is that the cpu is high under interrupt.  If you look at the 5 second value on the 'show proc cpu' output you will notice that there are actually two numbers listed there (something like this 50%/45%).  These two numbers are an indication of the total CPU utilization over a 5 second interval (50%) and the amount of the total that is due to interrupts (45%).  The most common cause of high CPU under interrupts is traffic being forwarded by the device.  There are a number of commands that can assist in troubleshooting this type of a problem, whether it is caused by traffic or some other issue.  Take a look at this document for some additional information:

http://tools.cisco.com/squish/59ccb

I believe this has been answered.  If you have questions, please feel free to post the output of the 'show proc cpu sort' as was suggested.

-Nick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: