Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

CPU utilization and DRAM !

Hi all.

I have a 3845 router with 256 DRAM and 64 flash. IOS is 12.4(20)T advsecurity. This router is serving as a hub to more then 150+ branches. Firewall is connected to this router and beyond the firwall are 2 internet connections as well.

At peek times, we see the utilization reaching 80-90%, Yesterday i saw it to be at 97%. When i did show processes cpu sorted, the top two processes were

1) IP Input

2) OSPF 100 router

I am confused that when CPU utilization goes high, does it mean that DRAM needs to be upgraded. I mean What is the relation between CPU utilization and DRAM of the router ?

Kindly note that i have cef enabled on all interfaces and globally. I check the router interfaces using show int and dont see any buffer overflow conditions. I do see interfaces dropping the packets. Currently we dont have a support contract and cant open the tac case but i need some urgent help on this. Kindly with your expertise let me know, what shall i do. And also for my confusion, tell me the relation between CPU utilization and DRAM of the router.

thanks

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: CPU utilization and DRAM !

With CEF enabled, the 3845 can push approximately 256mb of un-encrypted traffic.  You said the 3845 is acting as a hub.  How much total bandwidth is your 3845 expected to process?

DRAM is where the IOS gets "expanded".

Re: CPU utilization and DRAM !

Dear Sir,

Can you tell me the possible reasons of high utilization ? i know its a very broad scope but in my assumption, transit traffic should'nt be able to cause it, am i right ?

Views
Helpful
Replies