cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

create vlan on acces switch

Dragomir
Level 1
Level 1

how do I create a vlan on an access switch. I dont need this vlan broadcast to all networks though. also I dont need to do this on a core

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Conf t

vtp mode transparent

vlan XXX

name

end

write mem

do i need or not need an ip address specified? The access switch is part of a vtp domain I think. I dont want to cause any issueso nthe network. does the vlan ## need to be unique to the whole domain?

If its strictly a layer 2 vlan that does not need to be routed no address is needed on the switch .  If you need to manage the switch then you would need a ip address and a default gateway  set pointing to the device where the vlan is being routed.    You dont indicate whether this switch is already attached to core switch.  If its part of a vtp domain and vtp is already being used on the switch then you would create the vlan on the vtp server switch which will propagate that vlan down to your switch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card