Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating a VLAN

Hello I am working on a project where I have encountered a catlayst switch with the vlans created only using "interface vlan" command

interface Vlan163

no ip address

There is no "vlan [vlan id] " comanad to creat the VLAN , can any body send me a reference for this ?

Thanks in advance

10 Replies 10

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi George,

Use this

Switch# config t

Switch(config)#vlan 163

switch(config-vlan)#vlan name xyz

it will create a vlan

Regards

Please rate if it helps.

No this is not my question of course I know how can I creat a vlan ,  the questions is

How do those vlan function and forward traffic when there is no vlan command ??!!

If the switch is layer 3 then this catlayst do the intervlan routing .

Do u know about intervlan routing or ???

This is your question or something else???

If you wanna know abt intervlan config then let me know.

Regards

no it does not not do inter valn , as you can see there is no IP address configured under the "interface vlan"

My question is how come when you type "show spanning-tree "  you can see vlan 163 and access and tunk ports for this vlan , when in fact the command "vlan 163"  was not wirtten at all ?

Have got my question

George Monier

CCNP/CCNIP/JNCIP

Can you please post the show Vlan brief or show ip in brief that will enlighten us

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

unfortunately this is a customer`s that I do not admin , and getting this is not that easy but I am trying to do so . But for now can we really do so ? ( mean creat a vlan without a vlan command)  ?

vann_will
Level 1
Level 1

Hey George

It could be possible that they were using those vlan's as Layer 2 Traffic only and not Layer 3. 

Hope this helps

Hello Vann_will

Indeed it is a L2 VLAN , and this is the point "could you have a L2 vlan by only using the interface vlan command"

George Monier

CCNP/CCNIP/JNCIP

Hey George

Normally when I create a L2 Vlan, I used the commands below:

conf t

vlan XXX

name Test

end

wr

But if you do the command sh vlan and you see these vlan's active then I guess you can create L2 Vlan using the commands below:

conf t

int vlan XXX

no ip address

end

wr

sh vlan

Hope this helps

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Try this.

switch#vlan database

switch(vlan)#vlan 2

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card