Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Creating a VLAN

Hello I am working on a project where I have encountered a catlayst switch with the vlans created only using "interface vlan" command

interface Vlan163

no ip address

There is no "vlan [vlan id] " comanad to creat the VLAN , can any body send me a reference for this ?

Thanks in advance

Everyone's tags (2)
10 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Creating a VLAN

Hi George,

Use this

Switch# config t

Switch(config)#vlan 163

switch(config-vlan)#vlan name xyz

it will create a vlan

Regards

Please rate if it helps.

Creating a VLAN

No this is not my question of course I know how can I creat a vlan ,  the questions is

How do those vlan function and forward traffic when there is no vlan command ??!!

VIP Purple

Creating a VLAN

If the switch is layer 3 then this catlayst do the intervlan routing .

Do u know about intervlan routing or ???

This is your question or something else???

If you wanna know abt intervlan config then let me know.

Regards

Creating a VLAN

no it does not not do inter valn , as you can see there is no IP address configured under the "interface vlan"

My question is how come when you type "show spanning-tree "  you can see vlan 163 and access and tunk ports for this vlan , when in fact the command "vlan 163"  was not wirtten at all ?

Have got my question

George Monier

CCNP/CCNIP/JNCIP

Re: Creating a VLAN

Can you please post the show Vlan brief or show ip in brief that will enlighten us

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

unfortunately this is a customer`s that I do not admin , and getting this is not that easy but I am trying to do so . But for now can we really do so ? ( mean creat a vlan without a vlan command)  ?

Creating a VLAN

Hey George

It could be possible that they were using those vlan's as Layer 2 Traffic only and not Layer 3. 

Hope this helps

Hello Vann_will

Indeed it is a L2 VLAN , and this is the point "could you have a L2 vlan by only using the interface vlan command"

George Monier

CCNP/CCNIP/JNCIP

Hey George

Normally when I create a L2 Vlan, I used the commands below:

conf t

vlan XXX

name Test

end

wr

But if you do the command sh vlan and you see these vlan's active then I guess you can create L2 Vlan using the commands below:

conf t

int vlan XXX

no ip address

end

wr

sh vlan

Hope this helps

Creating a VLAN

Hi,

Try this.

switch#vlan database

switch(vlan)#vlan 2