cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating layer 3 link among 6513 CatOs with MSFC (IOS)

subharojdahal
Level 1
Level 1

As far as my understanding, SVI ( Switched virtual interface) is the way of creating Layer 3 (L3 link between the switch with same VLAN and /30 block of IP address in either side of link.

Could anybody explain me how it works other than just a Layer 2 trunk link between the switches.

I hope to get clear picture ( concept) of it from you guys.

20 Replies 20

My client network is not designed properly. Actually, Core switches (CD) are not that swiches as we often see well designed cisco network with access, distribution and fast switched core layer. Instead, switches C and D connected with outside world ( PIX, Router, VPN concentrator etc ??) thats why they call it core, and I did same LOL.

they have well defined aceess layer that terminates each vlan to distribution layer with HSRP configuration. But their distribution as well as core layer is kind of merged. Out of four switch, two are connecting to outside world, switches AB, numbers of other access layers and numbers of other servers.

Thats what they are and want my magic hand to make so called core ( distribution) segment redundant. And I came here to get magic hands of you guys so that I could act as NAT server. LOL.

By the way, from your last name LAMA, I sense some familiarity with one of my friend from Nepal ( a country in Asia) named Santosh Lama.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help

subharoj

I agree with Victor. Put /30 addresses on the links and be done with it.

thanks lot stephen,

Can I add one L2 link at the same time and allow just one vlan ( 45) used for device (switch, routers, and access points) management.

Just to make sure that All ports connecting SVI links (L3) are not the trunk port, are they?

What happen if I make it trunk port and let only allow vlan 45 ( device management vlan).

Is there any other way to span device management vlan across the whole network ?

Any kind of thought is appreciated

I'm not familiar enough with CatOS to speak intelligently about this, and without an accurate network diagram, I feel like I'm shooting in the dark with any suggestions. You're best bet is to spend a few long days learning about trunking and SVIs.

The simple answer is, SVIs are virtual layer 3 interfaces. You trunk between them. Good luck.

I will definately spending days for it.

But I am seeing this weekend couldn't be that long for me. anyway guys, you enjoy your LONG weekend

Thanks lot

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card