cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating multiple VLANs with IP addresses on 2940-8TF

paulconn
Level 1
Level 1

We are trying to configure two VLANs on a 2940-8TF. We can create, configure and assign an IP address to one VLAN, issue no shut BUT when we add another VLAN with IP address and issue not shut, the previous VLAN interface shuts down. Is this a restriction on the 2940?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Paul

On a layer 2 switch like the 2940 one of the restrictions is that only a single VLAN interface can have an IP address configured and active. As you discover you can create multiple VLAN interfaces, but if you assign an IP address to a second VLAN interface then the first one gets shutdown. This is standard behavior of the switches.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Paul

On a layer 2 switch like the 2940 one of the restrictions is that only a single VLAN interface can have an IP address configured and active. As you discover you can create multiple VLAN interfaces, but if you assign an IP address to a second VLAN interface then the first one gets shutdown. This is standard behavior of the switches.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the info. What puzzles me is that on a 3560 I CAN have two VLANS with active logical interfaces (int vlan x & int vlan xi). This is without enabling IP routing on the 3560. Why is this? Thanks,

The 3560 is a layer 3 switch not a layer 2 switch like the 2940 . On the 2940 that vlan interface is for management purposes for the switch only which is why you only need 1 active SVI , you cannot route anything on a 2940 whereas the 3560 is a layer 3 routing switch so you can create as many as you want and it will route between those interfaces . Ip routing is on by default on the 3560 I believe so you would have to specifically turn it off and then try to create the SVI's . If you turn off ip routing it basically becomes a layer 2 switch and you won't be able to route between vlans if you do this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card