Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Crossover Cisco 3550 with 3548?

Hello all, I'm a bit new to Cisco and would just like to know if this should be possible. We're currently using a Cisco 3550-48-smi switch for our LAN and basically just ran out of ports. We are getting a 3548-XL soon and wondering if I'd be able to link them together to expand our ports by connecting them with a crossover cable. I've seen success of those doing so with 2x 3550 switches but just curious if the process should be the same with these two.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi agangaram,     When you

Hi agangaram,

When you mention link them together you mention to cascade a trunk port or to do a extension of L2 or to configure them as stack?

Trunking them with a cable as you mentioned you can absolutely do it, I'm not sure about stacking those two though.

For the cascade option, just take a look at configuring a trunk below.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/scg_2960/swvlan.html#wp1200245

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Yes.  Cross-over cable is the

Yes.  Cross-over cable is the ONLY method.

Views
Helpful
Replies