Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Daisy Chain Limit on Switches

I have 5 48-port 2960 switches (50 counting the 2 GB ports). I want to uplink them on the GB ports.

Is there a daisy chain limit on switches like there is on hubs?

Thanks,

Denny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Re: Daisy Chain Limit on Switches

No hard limit, but you want to maximize the uplink ports so I suggest the attached layout.

The green links are traffic being forwarded towards the root. The red link indicate port being blocked in order to avoid a SPT loop.

HTH,

__

Edison.

5 REPLIES

Denny, I do not believe you can daisy chain 2960 switches, instead you may use clustering technology to accomplish what you need, you could have up to 16 devices in a switch cluster.

Switch Clusterining

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_40_se/configuration/guide/swclus.html#wp1193472

Rgds

Jorge

Hall of Fame Super Bronze

No hard limit, but you want to maximize the uplink ports so I suggest the attached layout.

The green links are traffic being forwarded towards the root. The red link indicate port being blocked in order to avoid a SPT loop.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Super Bronze

No, not like hubs.

If using spanning tree based on the STP 802.1D standard, you're not supposed to have, I believe, more than 7 hops. (That's for worst case performance and hopefully you would use a newer spanning tree standard, e.g. RSTP 802.1W.)

Hi Joseph,

Out of curiosity, any particular reasons why is it 7 hops? Thank you.

Super Bronze

Something to do with timing dependencies, I believe.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content