cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Daisy Chain Limit on Switches

dennylester
Level 1
Level 1

I have 5 48-port 2960 switches (50 counting the 2 GB ports). I want to uplink them on the GB ports.

Is there a daisy chain limit on switches like there is on hubs?

Thanks,

Denny

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No hard limit, but you want to maximize the uplink ports so I suggest the attached layout.

The green links are traffic being forwarded towards the root. The red link indicate port being blocked in order to avoid a SPT loop.

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Denny, I do not believe you can daisy chain 2960 switches, instead you may use clustering technology to accomplish what you need, you could have up to 16 devices in a switch cluster.

Switch Clusterining

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_40_se/configuration/guide/swclus.html#wp1193472

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No hard limit, but you want to maximize the uplink ports so I suggest the attached layout.

The green links are traffic being forwarded towards the root. The red link indicate port being blocked in order to avoid a SPT loop.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, not like hubs.

If using spanning tree based on the STP 802.1D standard, you're not supposed to have, I believe, more than 7 hops. (That's for worst case performance and hopefully you would use a newer spanning tree standard, e.g. RSTP 802.1W.)

Hi Joseph,

Out of curiosity, any particular reasons why is it 7 hops? Thank you.

Something to do with timing dependencies, I believe.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco