Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Data Rate on router

Hi ,

Kindly let me know when i do sh int se0/1 what does this signyfy input rate and output rate and can this be added together to get the total bandwith of the link .

5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 1 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

Re: Data Rate on router

Hi Neo,

The traffic rate that you are seeing via the "show interface" command is the 5 minute average rate of traffic flowing via that link.

These figures reflect the actual data rate flowing via that link.

Why do you want to add these figures to the bandwidth of the link?

Cisco Employee

it reflects the data rate at which the traffic is flowing inbound and outbound on an interface.Usually we dont add these to get the total bandwidth of the link as both RX and TX traffic are different. You can take an average of the traffic in each direction to check the maximum bandwidth used in RX/TX.You can use a NMS to monitor this traffic and use the reports to the findout the maximum/average bandwidth usage during the busy hours.

The output as by-default on 5 minutes average.You can change it to any specified value using the command " load-interval"

Conf t

int se 0/0

-amit singh

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I think that Neo's question is asking about the marketing-speak trick of adding input rate and output rate to get a "total capacity" which sounds more impressive on the data sheet for a device. In that sense if he wants to do it, I believe that he can do it. I believe that there is little value in doing it, but that does not stop people from doing it.

In that sense I think that we need to be careful about quantifying rates. Is the capacity of a T1 1.5 Mb or is it 3.0Mb?

Community Member

Yes Rick , thats the confusion . Is the capacity of a T1 on router is 1.5 Mb or is it 3 Mb?

As in show interface it shows in front of BW 1544 Kbit

CreatePlease to create content