Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Debug Cisco 3560 Switch

Forum members I have a question,  I am trying to run some simple debug commands on my switch to see if I have any dropped packets.

This is what i have done so far.

ip access list extended 150
pemit  tcp host 10.1.1.1 host 10.2.2.2 eq 443
pemit tcp host 10.2.2.2 eq 443 host  10.1.1.1

“debug ip packet det 150

I do know for a fact that there is traffic on those hosts, and the reason I am creating the ACL is so I do not have to kill the processor of my switch.

MY REAL issue is that even if I apply this debug command, I do not see any traffic, for that matter any debug command I apply I see no traffic nothing is shown on the switch.

Does anyone have an idea?

I would appreciate your help on this matter.

If anyone can suggest a better commands I am open to suggestions but my primary concern is to actual see some messages on the actual switch since I do not see anything as of now, and the ntwk is actual up and running.

I am mostly interested on dropped packets if any, thank you

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

antonios.skoulariotis wrote:

Forum members I have a question,  I am trying to run some simple debug commands on my switch to see if I have any dropped packets.

This is what i have done so far.

ip access list extended 150
pemit  tcp host 10.1.1.1 host 10.2.2.2 eq 443
pemit tcp host 10.2.2.2 eq 443 host  10.1.1.1

“debug ip packet det 150

I do know for a fact that there is traffic on those hosts, and the reason I am creating the ACL is so I do not have to kill the processor of my switch.

MY REAL issue is that even if I apply this debug command, I do not see any traffic, for that matter any debug command I apply I see no traffic nothing is shown on the switch.

Does anyone have an idea?

I would appreciate your help on this matter.

If anyone can suggest a better commands I am open to suggestions but my primary concern is to actual see some messages on the actual switch since I do not see anything as of now, and the ntwk is actual up and running.

I am mostly interested on dropped packets if any, thank you

On a hardware switch if you want to know if you are dropping packets you need to look at the interfaces themselves eg.

sh int gi0/0

debugging with an access-list won't work as the packets are hardware switched and never get to the main processor.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card