cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Default address used on devices connected to 1811 managed switch ports

w.allen.b
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to configure a Cisco 1811 with an 8 port managed switch module. I am connecting two 515E PIX devices to two of the switch ports. I want to set up default routes from the PIX outside interfaces to the connected LAN interfaces on the 1811, but cannot find any documentation as to what the "next hop" address should be on a device connected to one of the 1811 LAN switch module interfaces. Can anyone help with this? Same issue with connecting a PC to one of the interfaces on the LAN switch interfaces on the 1811. What address does one use for the default gateway address configuration on the PC ethernet port configuration? I am not using DHCP on the 1811.

2 Replies 2

purohit_810
Level 5
Level 5

give command " default-gateway and next hope IP addres"

Regards,

Dharmesh Purohit

OK. Maybe I was not clear in my first submission. I know how to set a default route or default gateway when the switch and router are separate devices. Next hop and default gateway is address of router interface. However, in the case of the 1811 the switch module is installed in the router and there is no obvious link between the switch device and the router device. In addition, when using multiple VLANs you typically need a trunk line between the switch and the router with subinterfaces configured on the router interface to provide communications between VLANs. Again, no documentation found on how to configure such communications between VLANs configured on the 1811. Does anyone have a link to full configuration documentation on such scenarios?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card