cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

default gateway clarification

marcusbrutus
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. Given a setup where routerA with ip add 10.0.1.1/24 on s0 which is connected to s1 of routerB which in turn has s0 with ip add of 10.0.2.1/24 connected to s1 of another router, routerC, with ip add of 10.0.2.2/24. Using tftpdnld, what should be the default gateway if routerC is acting as the tftp server?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

"I am inclined to think that the default gateway would be the interface of routerB facing routerA. Is this correct?"

Yes it would be.

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

marcusbrutus
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry, forgot to mention that tftpdnld would be run on routerA.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can either

1) add specific routes to router's A & C ie.

router A

ip route 10.0.2.0 255.255.255.0 10.0.1.2

router C

ip route 10.0.1.0 255.255.255.0 10.0.2.1

or

2) instead of specific routes just add a default-route to A & C

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.1.2

&

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.2.1

Only if the routers are acting as hosts ie. not routing, would you use a default-gateway on a router.

Jon

Hi Jon. Thanks for the reply. My question is in a scenario where I am in rommon mode of routerA without a valid IOS. So i guess i would be defining the ip add of the router, subnetmask, tftp ip add, and default gateway in rommon. Afterwards i would be executing the tftpdnld command in rommon. I just need to verify what default gateway ip to enter in routerA prior running tftpdnld. RouterA is sequentially connected to routerB and routerB is sequentially connected to routerC which is the tftp server. I am inclined to think that the default gateway would be the interface of routerB facing routerA. Is this correct?

"I am inclined to think that the default gateway would be the interface of routerB facing routerA. Is this correct?"

Yes it would be.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card