cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Default-Gateway -not-set?

etf1
Level 1
Level 1

Question, I have a 3560 switch with 1 G0/0 enabled, 1 serial port with a subinterface. I have configure the both ports and the default gateway yet, when I do a sh ip route I received the following error Default-Gateway not set. I've even tried to use the actual ip address. I still receive the same error any suggestions?

!

interface Serial0/0/0

description ISP Circuit

no ip address

ip access-group 10 in

ip access-group 10 out

no ip proxy-arp

encapsulation frame-relay IETF

clockrate 2000000

interface Serial0/0/0.1 point-to-point

description connected to Internet

ip address x.x.x.x

ip access-group 10 in

ip access-group 10 out

no ip mroute-cache

frame-relay interface-dlci 384

!

ip classless

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/0/0.1

or

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 X.X.X.X

Thanks

22 Replies 22

Thanks for you asistance on this...I appreciated your comments... Always good to have someone jump in.. I'll let you know when I can get this back online to test..

Again Thanks.........Ernest

Ok, That may be it... I hope so however, I never tested or tried the sho ip route command on a box that was/is not physically connected to anything. Which started me asking why the Gateway would not set? That would hold true of a layer one issue.

However, when it was physically connected to the network I couldn't or did not see it as well. So, I had the SA take it off to troubleshoot and this is where we are.

I'll have not made any changes to the config since it was removed....again puzzling that this id the only box I'm having this issue.

Ernest

I have tested this many times (and experienced it live more times that I wish to remember) and I am very positive that when an interface goes protocol down that any static route which is configured to use the interface will be withdrawn from the routing table.

The first thing to do is to restore connectivity on the serial interface (and its associated subinterface). I suspect that this will restore the default route to the routing table and establish a Gateway of Last Resort. If it does not then we can troubleshoot from that point.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Will do and I'll let you know..

Thanks

ip routing enabled.

Still get message "Gateway of last resort is not set?"

Ernest

I do believe that the output of show protocol, show ip interface brief, and of show version would help us to understand this issue much better. Can you post them (If you are concerned about revealing the IP addressing then I suggest that you just alter the first octet of each address - to something else in that same address class - so that we will not see your real addresses but will be able to understand the relationships of addressing).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I had the same issue on a Cisco router ISR1001-X

ip routing command resolved the issue

Thank you for sharing your experience with this type of problem. My observation is that if adding ip routing to the config solved your issue then you were not having the same issue as the original poster. It was quite clear that the problem for the original poster was that the serial interface was not connected and that is what prevented the default route from being added to the routing table. Your post is a good reminder that when investigating an issue where a route is not present in the routing table that it is always good to check and see if ip routing is enabled.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card