cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Default gateway1

Hi,

I want to know if it possible to find out what default gateway is configured on a PC that is turned off from a router within a LAN!

4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Default gateway1

Laurentiu

I do not believe that there is any way to find out from the router what default gateway is configured on a PC (whether the PC is connected to the router or not). To determine what default gateway is configured you would need access to the PC either by being physically on the PC or through some remote access software such as Remote Desktop. Or perhaps there is some management software that can monitor PC configuration of default gateway. But not from a router.

HTH

Rick

I'm not sure what you mean by "that is turned off from a router within a LAN". Do you mean it is trying to use some other router?

If so, you could try monitoring its traffic. If it can find its router, then it will send anything destined for off-net to what it thinks is the router. Then look for the destination MAC address. OTOH, if it can't find its router, then it will be ARPing for it every time it wants to send something off net.

On the other hand, it could be ARPing for everything, on or off net. In that case it has no gateway configured at all.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

cco

I think what is meant here: From a router, is it possible to know the default gateway configured on a 'turned off PC'? Well, I think that's impossible.

:-) Oh! In that case, I would tend to agree with you.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content