Views
Helpful
Replies

Default route for internet traffic with Multiple Internet Exit points

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all !! Hope everyone is well !!

I've got a scenario and hope someone can give me some inputs on this.

I've an enterprise network of about 20 remote locations (all connected via MPLS WAN) and internet access for all locations is being routed back to the data center. So at the data center I have a default static route for internet traffic and redistribute it into EIGRP. Here is my scenario I am working on bringing up a new location in China and this location will have it own internet access for the local users. By default the WAN router at this new location will learn a default route via EIGRP, so what I am trying to accomplish is I want route internet traffic for the local users to exit out of their local internet access first and use the data center internet access as backup. Has anyone ran into this scenario ?

I am thinking if I add a default static route on the WAN router at the new location and point it to the local internet access there, that should override the default route learn via EIGRP and internet traffic should exit out locally first. Also the internet hand-off at this new location is Ethernet (CAT5) so I may have to add some type of IP SLA / Tracking to monitor the Ethernet link for failover. Thanks in advance !!! I appreciate any inputs / suggestions !!!

D.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You should be able to create a static route with tracking. You can create an sla to ping the remote site, then track that. Create your default route with tracking the tracked object and then if the sla were to fail, the tracked object will pull the static route out of the table and put your eigrp learned route in its place.

Try something like:

ip sla 1

icmp-echo

frequency 3

ip sla schedule 1 start now life forever

track 1 rtr 1 reachability

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.2 track 1

As long as your PE router is responding, the default route to it would stay in the table. If it were to go down, your eigrp learned route should take over.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

View solution in original post

Sure...

Here's a link for icmp sla operation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/ip_sla/configuration/guide/hsicmp.html

And static routing with object tracking:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3x/12_3xe/feature/guide/dbackupx.html

I also gave an example in my original post, but I think you rated before I posted the update for you

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You should be able to create a static route with tracking. You can create an sla to ping the remote site, then track that. Create your default route with tracking the tracked object and then if the sla were to fail, the tracked object will pull the static route out of the table and put your eigrp learned route in its place.

Try something like:

ip sla 1

icmp-echo

frequency 3

ip sla schedule 1 start now life forever

track 1 rtr 1 reachability

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.2 track 1

As long as your PE router is responding, the default route to it would stay in the table. If it were to go down, your eigrp learned route should take over.

HTH,

John

Thanks John !!

You have any doc/link on default route with IP Sla/tracking that you can share ?

Thanks again !!

D.

Sure...

Here's a link for icmp sla operation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4/ip_sla/configuration/guide/hsicmp.html

And static routing with object tracking:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3x/12_3xe/feature/guide/dbackupx.html

I also gave an example in my original post, but I think you rated before I posted the update for you

Thanks!

Hi John,

How about a scenario wherein I've two internet links with static routing with the service providers. How do i load share the traffic between them?

PFA

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card